|Alliance of Bioversity International
Alliance of Bioversity International Tanzania Jobs
The Alliance of Bioversity International and the International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT) delivers research-based solutions that harness agricultural biodiversity and sustainably transform food systems to improve people’s lives. The Alliance solutions address the global crises of malnutrition, climate change, biodiversity loss, and environmental degradation. ( https://alliancebioversityciat.org/)
With novel partnerships, the Alliance generates evidence and mainstreams innovations to transform food systems and landscapes so that they sustain the planet, drive prosperity, and nourish people. The Alliance is part of CGIAR ( www.cgiar.org) a global research partnership for a food-secure future.
We are recruiting internship students for various jobs positions as per below details….
Interns – Field Beans Breeding Assistants (two (2) positions)
Interns – Field Beans Breeding Assistants (two (2) positions) at Alliance of Bioversity August, 2023
About the position
Field Breeding Assistants will be supporting improvement of existing plant varieties or support to create new ones to improve appearance, resistance to disease, yield, and other characteristics. The internship students may work in an academic or research setting.
- Support setting research aims and objectives.
- Support production of project plans and budgets.
- Support researching new methods of plant breeding.
- Support laboratory, screen house, and field trials activities.
- Support analyzing and interpreting data.
- Support in identifying the best varieties/species.
- Support in electing parent plants for crossbreeding.
- Support keeping records of research and findings.
- Support in presenting scientific findings and other work.
- Participate in making presentations.
- Support writing technical publications and reports.
- Coordinating and liaising with other plant breeders.
Internship Student – Pathology Laboratory Assistants (Two (2) positions)
Internship Student – Pathology Laboratory Assistants (Two (2) positions) at Alliance of Bioversity August, 2023
About the position
The Pathology Laboratory Assistant will provid esupport in studying the health of plants. He/she will help in identifying common bean diseases, pests, and other health problems a plant may experience.
- Support in tissue sampling and other routine tasks associated with experiments.
- Support in mechanical inoculation of virus, bacteria, fungi, oomycete, nematode and other pathogens in field, greenhouse, and growth chambers.
- Support the process of bioassays with insects/vectors.
- Support in routine data collection from various sized research projects and entry into enterprise systems.
- Support in preparation of clear, accurate, and concise reports of results, and communicating them to colleague or stakeholders.
- Perform or direct simple to complex molecular lab work.
- Perform data analysis using parametric and non-parametric statistical models.
- Review literature and stay up to date on the latest technologies.
Internship Student- Molecular Laboratory Assistants (Two (2) positions)
Internship Student- Molecular Laboratory Assistants (Two (2) positions) at Alliance of Bioversity August, 2023
About the position
The Molecular Laboratory Assistants Internship students will be supporting general laboratory operation and maintenance.
- Support in conducting research under the direction of the supervisor and assisting in daily laboratory operation and maintenance.
- Support proficiently handling standard laboratory procedures, including extraction of DNA and RNA, DNA quantification, assays for SNP, RAPDs, SSRs, AFLPs, and other markers systems, gel electrophoresis, protein purification, centrifugation, enzyme assays, isolation of DNA from agarose and acrylamide gels, isolation and purification of plasmid DNA, ligation and transformation of E. coli with DNA constructs, the maintenance of insect and pathogen collections, perform detailed observation of plant, insect and/or pathogen growth in growth chamber, as well as supporting collecting, processing and analyzing data.
Specific Qualifications and requirements
- The positions require knowledge of and experience with basic molecular biology methods, including DNA sequence and fragment analysis. Because methods and technologies in science change rapidly, the internship students also must be receptive to and adept at, evaluating and learning new technologies involving both biological and chemical methods.
General Qualifications and requirements:
- At least master’s degree in relevant field of study or completing master’s degree in relevant – field of study for each of the above positions.
- A successful internship student must be able to correctly operate and maintain specialized equipment such as thermal cyclers, spectrophotometers, water purification systems, and electrophoresis equipment.
- The internship student should be able keep detailed computer and laboratory records and generate reports.
Terms of Recruitment
This is a nationally recruited internship position based in Arusha, Tanzania. The internship contract will be for 3-monthperiod. The Alliance offers a multicultural, collegial research environment with competitive stipend; we believe that the diversity of our staff contributes to excellence. The Alliance is an equal opportunity employer and strives for staff diversity in gender.
Internship Duration: Three months (initial with possibility to extend further). Desired start date: As soon as possible.
To apply: Please send your application letter & CV as one PDF document to firstname.lastname@example.org copy to Teshale.Mamo@cgiar.org and L.Tango@cgiar.org by 10th August, 2023.
Alliance- Bioversity & CIAT is an equal opportunity employer. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.