|Action Against Hunger
Jobs in Tanzania 2023: New Job Vacancies at Action Against Hunger, 2023
Action Against Hunger Tanzania Jobs 2023
Business Development Coordinator at Action Against Hunger
Dar es Salaam
Action Against Hunger
Action Against Hunger is a global humanitarian organization that takes decisive action against the causes and effects of hunger.
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, United Republic
Action Against Hunger-USA is part of the Action Against Hunger International network, which provides humanitarian relief in over 40 countries worldwide in the sectors of nutrition, health, water/sanitation, and food security. Action Against Hunger-USA, an independent NGO, currently manages operations in 8 countries: Tanzania, Ethiopia, Kenya, South Sudan, Somalia, Tanzania, Uganda and Haiti.. Action Against Hunger-USA has over $100 million in programs, and approximately 1,600 staff based in in the various country offices, in New York City, Washington D.C, Nairobi, and country offices. Additional growth is anticipated.
Summary of Position
The Business Development Coordinator will ensure overall programme portfolio growth under the strategic leadership of the Country Director in Action Against Hunger, Tanzania Mission. This position is required to work on new business development opportunities to grow Action Against Hunger Tanzania’s portfolio in a manner that assures ongoing quality, influence and impact. To achieve this goal, the Business Development Coordinator will champion and coordinate Action Against Hunger’s resource acquisition processes from a wide range of donors, multi-lateral organizations, foundations, corporations, as well as a variety of emerging non-traditional funding streams. The position holder will work with the Country Director, technical leads regional office, Regional Grants and Contracts Team, USG Business Development Team, and International network member teams to: (a) grow revenue; and (b) achieve excellence in execution of grants through effective grants monitoring, preparation of quality and timely donor reports, and ensuring compliance with donor and internal regulations and standards.
The Business Development Coordinator, role has three main aspects to it: leading grant acquisition, leading and develop country office (CO) grant management effort, compliance and reporting
Externally: Donors, partners and stakeholders –Identifies, creates, and maintains strategic and productive relationships with authorities and other organizations (local & international) working in the same sectors as Action Against Hunger.
Internally: Country Director, Departmental Leads, Regional Grants, Finance and technical Teams, and USG Business Development Team, to coordinate the materialization of funding opportunities, including strengthening capacities of program leads to contribute efficiently to project design and preparation of proposals and reports.
The position also collaborates with regional and international network member Grants/Awards team.
They will also liaise with regional program teams to ensure Action Against Hunger Tanzania programs remain aligned with global strategic priorities and receive ongoing technical support.
The position will be responsible for delivering an efficient and effective grant cycle management function – Coordinates all proposal development processes – ensuring timely and quality submissions and is comfortable to be rated by win rate and revenue targets, as well as compliance and reporting.
Essential job roles.
- Develop and review the Funding strategy for the Country Office to support the achievement of the goals set in the Tanzania Country Strategy.
- He/she will be accountable for ensuring that Action Against Hunger Tanzania effectively prepositions for significant donor opportunities (donor identification and engagement), including selection of potential partners in collaboration with the Country Director.
- Produce a clear capture plan in advance for the expected opportunity in coordination with the Country Director.
- Work closely with staff at Country Office level to develop countrywide intelligence on key donors and actors, as well as portfolio analysis.
- Coordinate collaborative, data-driven Go/No-Go (bid review forms) decisions, undertake pre-proposal activities including analyzing the funding opportunity; gathering intel on the donor and other actors; contributing to the development of complementary needs assessment when needed
- Keep the funding tracker updated and regularly share information and charts with country office SMT members, regional office grants team, and USG Business Development Team. Manage and implement a proposal development plan ensuring that all necessary activities are clearly defined, assigned, and completed to the necessary timescales, communicating progress to all staff involved in producing the proposals and escalating bottlenecks to relevant decision makers.
- Support the organization and facilitation of project design workshops, developing concept papers, proposal narratives and log frames, ensuring that high quality standards are met and that proposals meet donor and Action Against Hunger requirements.
- Identify and tailor any available pre-written content relevant to the proposal opportunity.
- Take information provided by the individual contributors (technical advisors, programs, humanitarian, operations, and MEAL, among others) to build a quality proposal and lead proposal writing.
- Liaise with finance, programs and operations on the development of the proposal budget, HR and procurement plans.
- Secure all approvals for the assigned new proposals prior to submission to the donor.
- Lead in formulation of teaming agreements for consortium formation, coordinate grant revisions/modifications/extensions and other changes as required.
- Liaise with Action Against Hunger International Networks grant units in order to ensure proposals meet internal standards and are donor compliant.
- Lead the post-submission follow-up process. Carry out learning and feedback exercises after submission and in depth reviews of unsuccessful proposals to identify reasons and any lessons learned. Document, share and develop plans to address identified weaknesses.
- Lead on reporting for program impact and progress including all donor-funded projects, ensuring that reporting requirements are met and all reports are subjected to rigorous quality assurance. Liaise with the regional, HQ and other Action Against Hunger networks for tracking of submitted donor reports.
- This includes creating and circulating monthly reporting schedules; ensuring field teams’ adherence to the reporting schedules; and, compiling, editing and reviewing reports; disseminating to regional office and, network members
- Secure all approvals for grant reports prior to submission to the donor.
- Business Development Coordinator Job Vacancy at Action Against Hunger
- Lead project cycle meetings (e.g. kick off, reviews and closeout meetings), as well as monthly/regular grants management meetings which include representation from each unit (finance, programs, logistics) and ensure proper follow up of issues raised.
- Monitor and support the use of management tools such as BFUs for the proper monitoring and the successful implementation of programs and early warning in case of obstacles or challenges.
- Research donor guidelines and compliance issues for new opportunities or existing grants, as needed, within the assigned portfolio of Action Against Hunger Tanzania.
- Review donor agreements and coordinate their review with the relevant Action Against Hunger regional or network offices.
- Ensure that grants are implemented in compliance with Action Against Hunger and relevant donor regulations.
- Develop grant guidelines, processes, and procedures, training staff members on these procedures, and addressing all grant related questions.
- Ensure that key staff (including partners’) have a clear understanding of donor compliance requirements including any regulatory or contractual changes throughout the project management cycle.
Communication and Information Management
- Share all relevant documentation (grant proposals, reports, budget, etc.) to all staff related to their specific grants.
- Ensure information management and timely electronic filing of all proposal documents on the SharePoint No Hunger Forum
- Keep an updated inventory of all communications related to programs/donors
- Strengthen country capacities in new business and proposal development, reporting and compliance.
- Ensure staff’s familiarity with the requirements and formats and templates of each donor opportunity.
- Coordinate in the preparation and roll out of local partners’ capacity assessment and strengthening plans in coordination with relevant departments.
Gender Equality Commitments
- Fosters an environment that supports values of women and men, and equal access to information.
- Provides a work environment where women and men must be evaluated and promoted based on their skills and performance.
- Respects beneficiaries i.e., women, men and children (boys and girls) regardless of gender, sex orientation, disability, religion, race, color, ancestry, national origin, age, or marital status.
- Values and respect all cultures.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit for long periods and to concentrate on work, including typing, and turn out heavy volumes of work accurately, within short time frames under stressful situations in the context of a moderately noisy office with many interruptions. Must be able to proofread own work accurately so that only minor corrections are needed on an infrequent basis.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- This is a non-accompanied position which is based at the Action Against Hunger Tanzania country office which is located in Dar es Saalam. The role holder must be available to work outside normal office hours or on the weekends as required. He/she must be able to travel as required for standard domestic and international business purposes. While performing the duties of this job in the field, the employee may be exposed to precarious settings under high security risks and/or very basic living conditions and outside weather conditions, as well as to infectious diseases.
Required Qualifications and Professional Experience
- Degree in International development, Humanitarian assistance, Project Management, Social sciences, Public health or any other relevant field. Postgraduate qualification will be an added advantage.
- 10 years of demonstrable experience in-country grant portfolio management, fundraising, external engagement/networking.
- Extensive experience in fundraising and meeting revenue targets
- Experience working with diverse donors i.e., SIDA, UN, GIZ, USAID, EU, GAC and foundations.
- Demonstrable experience of proposal development and reporting.
- Solid experience in strategic planning, program development, project management, monitoring and evaluation.
- Advanced English language proficiency
Required Skills & Competencies
- Solid experience in managing complex programs, large budgets and diverse teams
- Strong cross-cultural experience (including leading programs in fragile and stable contexts)
- Extensive experience building partnerships with donors, government and other stakeholders including representing a country office in UN and donor coordination mechanisms
- Strong team management skills and experience collaborating with key business partners i.e., finance, HR, supply chain management and ensuring that programs receive timely project support and inputs
- A self-starter who can work independently under pressure and who has ability to management competing priorities without direct supervision.
Action Against Hunger-USA provides all staff with an attractive salary & benefits package. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees & qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, ancestry, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. Action Against Hunger-USA complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.