|Geita Gold Mining Ltd (GGML)
Geita Gold Mining Ltd (GGML) is Tanzania’s leading gold producer with a single operation in Geita Region. The company is a subsidiary of AngloGold Ashanti, an international gold producer headquartered in South Africa, with operations in more than ten countries, in four continents. The mine is situated in the Lake Victoria Gold fields of North Western Tanzania, only about 85 km’s from Mwanza City and 20 km’s South East of the nearest point of Lake Victoria.
The company has its head office in Geita, only 5 Km’s west of the fast-growing town of Geita, and also a supporting office in Dar es Salaam.
Applications are invited from ambitious, energetic and performance driven individuals to fill in vacant position(s) mentioned below:
Career Opportunities: Exploration Manager Job vacancy at GGML – Tanzania (21300)
Position: Exploration Manager – Tanzania
Contract type & Duration: Unspecified Time Contract
Reporting to: SVP Greenfields Exploration
Number of Positions: One (01)
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
It is a full-time, permanent role with roster-based travel to the company’s exploration projects across Tanzania. The role holder will be required to develop and drive a 1–2 years exploration strategy within Tanzania, to discover new economic gold deposits supporting the regional strategy which Includes establishing contact with license holders, Government, and key stakeholders in conjunction with Greenfields Target Generation – and Specialists team. Find additional ore resources and/or sterilize existing ground upon completion of exploration strategy planning within required work specifications.
- Bachelor of Science (BSc Hons) or Master of Science in Geology.
- Geita Greenfields Mineral Exploration Limited is an equal opportunity employer: Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
- A Minimum of 10 years of relevant experience but typically 15 years of working experience in exploration in the mining industry. Greenfields exploration experience will be an added advantage.
- Ability to Demonstrate managerial leadership skills and experience. Ability to engage a diverse and highly skilled workforce to achieve plan and actively support strategy.
- Core geological / exploration skills for the technical assessment and management of exploration projects ranging from grassroots through advanced projects and feasibility studies. Including: Knowledge of exploration methods.
- Geology mapping and boreholes logging.
- Geological data compilation and databases management.
- Geological data consolidation and knowledge of the mineralization models, guiding the exploration process.
- Knowledge of other geology discipline, matching with the exploration output.
- Broad based understanding of exploration, mining, metallurgical, environmental, land access, community relations, commercial issues and risk management is required. An ability to recognize key exploration and business risk issues and develop appropriate management strategies to manage these risks is required.
- Sensitive to and aware of local/ international indigenous cultures, business cultures and management styles.
- A sound understanding of applicable legislation.
- Demonstrated skills in project/business management.
ROLE ACCOUNTABILITIES AND OUTPUT:
- Demonstrate and encourage a proactive safety culture within the team and the organisation.
- Ensure rapid and effective communication of any significant incidents to SVP Greenfields Exploration and/or GGM management.
- Implement and enforce Greenfields protocols and procedures to safely manage all operations. (Safety management system).
- Monitor and recommend improvements to enhance the effectiveness of the safety management system, and requisite behaviours and practices.
- Identify safety risks and resolve emerging issues, escalating issues and safety risks that impact other areas.
- Ensure appropriate resources are applied to achieve safety objectives.
- Model behaviour that is consistent with the AGA Safety Vision, Values and Procedures.
- Ensure optimum work performance (quantity vs. quality), precise reporting / inter-action with other geological staff / contractors, work program motivation and effective team building.
- Support the SVP Greenfields Exploration to implement the vision, performance expectations and desired culture for the team.
- Establish and monitor performance of staff, contractors, and consultants to ensure activities comply with vision, values, policies, procedures, and standards. Take appropriate action to address the issues identified.
- Be an effective MoR to support talent development and succession planning.
- Build motivation and a strong team ethos.
- Ensure efficient and prompt communication of any changes, issues, or other areas of interest relevant to reporting or support groups.
- Stimulate effective team communication to maximise team efficiency and effectiveness.
- Coaching a group of aspiring exploration geologists to develop their skilled knowledge in supervising exploration projects. The focus will be on identifying the gaps in their current knowledge and assisting to close those gaps.
- Develop a 1–2-year strategy for Tanzania to support the regional strategy and deliver on role accountabilities.
- Support the SVP Greenfields Exploration to develop the long-term exploration Strategy and plan.
- Prepare and implement rolling business plans (updated annually) and annual business plans that document key activities and budgets.
- Deploy resources in an effective and efficient manner to meet strategy, plans and budget.
- Provide input into scheduling of other activities in Tanzania to ensure that you can support the initiative, but other priority work can also continue.
- Prepare annual budgets consistent with the business plan cycle.
- Monitor, interrogate and reconcile forecasts (monthly).
- Provide monthly reports to SVP on activities, issues and performance against plan and budget.
- Co-ordinate the preparation of reports, presentations and key exploration and governance metrics to inform management, exploration partners and key stakeholders.
- Review weekly, monthly, and quarterly reports prior to circulation.
- Understand the geological opportunities, deploy the right resources using the right tools to deliver on the strategy and plan to discover new prospects in Tanzania.
- Remain abreast of internal and external research and technology developments in particular those funded by the Company, critically assess conclusions of the research, and make recommendations for applying the research in the exploration process to fast-track discoveries.
- Optimise and prioritise exploration expenditure and programs.
- Manage a number of interdependent processes or systems, maximising cost‐benefit ratios, balancing the demands of different priorities and situations and achieving planned outputs.
- Liaise with the Logistics regarding non-geological field activities such as sampling, rehabilitation, and access requirements, ensure adequate and accurate maps and instructions are given to allow field support-staff time to organize field logistics.
- Ensure appropriate quality control procedures are in place.
- Ensure team provide high quality data and comply with database/ CAD/GIS protocols and procedures.
- Ensure that training records are effectively captured and maintained.
- Ensure all relevant records and data for the team are captured in the IMS.
- Effective portfolio management in GEMS.
- Mentor and coach team members to ensure a consistent approach to high-quality data capture and analysis (e.g., Regolith and rock logging, drill logging etc.).
- Initiate and follow up on licenses renewal and new ground applications within Tanzania.
- Identify new prospective projects within Tanzania and establish necessary contacts with licenses holders and key stakeholders.
- Due diligence: Participate in identifying and acquiring new regional prospective ground in conjunction and with assistance from Target Generation and Specialists teams as well as from Conakry office.
- Ensure appropriate arrangements and approvals are in place for access to the land and that all approval conditions are complied with. This includes approval conditions arising from tenements, rehabilitation and general agreements with land holders, indigenous and local communities.
- Produce and submit mandatory activities reports to the governments.
- Setup and hold regular meetings with officials, government representatives and key stakeholder to discuss progress as well as issues affecting explorations activities.
- Assist with the development of systems and procedures required to achieve efficiency and effectiveness of the exploration team.
- Ensure the team has a continuous improvement mind-set and approach to systems and processes.
- Look for ways to streamline and improve systems and make recommendations to improve systems.
- Effectively implement improvements to systems and processes.
- Keep appraised of issues with landholders, indigenous and local communities and seek early advice on how to resolve issues.
- Ensure all those under your supervision undertake a review of cultural sensitivities prior to establishing new exploration activities.
- Continually monitor tenement holdings in areas of interest to identify opportunities. Keep the Target Generation team advised of any developments.
- Participate in the review of opportunities in Tanzania as appropriate
- Ensure the team maintains the required permits, certifications, and licenses to perform their role.
- Assist the SVP to liaise with JV partners, local groups, landholders, and other external stakeholders in accordance with agreements or as otherwise required.
- Ensure you and your team comply with all legal and statutory requirements applicable to the role, including: Health, Safety, Environmental and Community legislation and regulations.
- United States Sarbanes Oxley Act, 2002 (as applicable). Comply with all applicable AGA policies and procedures.
- At all times, act in accordance with AGA’s Values.
- Manages and balances resources in a discrete unit, department or geography within annual planning and budgetary cycle constraints.
- Generates innovative solutions to continuously improve the performance of existing assets, products, services, or processes.
- Manages, prioritises, and solves a flow of interrelated problems using the resources of the team.
- Makes decisions based on an analysis of patterns and trends in existing products, processes, or systems across a variety of situations and identifies future outcomes and corrective actions over the next planning cycle.
- Displays analytical and innovative thinking resulting in continuous improvement/ and adding value.
- Probes to get beyond the surface of a problem to properly understand the causes.
- Medically fit to work in remote locations with limited medical facilities.
MODE OF APPLICATION:
- Please apply through our recruitment portal by clicking the ‘APPLY’ button below.
- On the portal you will be required to upload your detailed CV, copies of relevant certificates, e- mail and telephone contacts, names and addresses of three referees. Please do not attach certificates that are not related to the qualifications stated above.
- You will also be required to upload a cover / application letter addressed to “Senior Manager Human Resources, Geita Gold Mining Ltd”. Subject should be “Exploration Manager – Tanzania”
- If you struggle to apply via the link provided, please head over to our website https://www.geitamine.com/en/people/ for a step-by-step guide on how to apply for jobs on our recruitment portal (SuccessFactors).
- You will be required to present original certificates if you are contacted for interviews.
- Internal Applicants (those currently employed by AngloGold Ashanti) must have their application letter endorsed by their Head of Department (HOD) or Manager once Removed (MoR).
Applications should reach the above on or before 16th June 2023 at 5:30 PM
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
NOTE ON COVID-19 PREVENTION:
- Please note when you are invited for interviews, you will be required to present proof of vaccination against COVID-19 (Covid-19 vaccination certificate) or if you are not vaccinated, please go for a Covid-19 test and obtain a 96 – hour valid PCR Covid-19 negative certificate.
- You are also advised to adhere to all recommended prevention measures including proper wearing of face masks and washing or sanitizing your hands before you are allowed through Geita Gold Mine entry points.
BEWARE OF CONMEN! GGML does not receive money in exchange for a job position. Should you be asked for money in exchange for a job offer or suspect such activity, please report this immediately to our Security Department, Investigation Unit, by calling +255 28 216 01 40 Ext 1559 (rates apply) or use our whistle-blowing channels by sending an SMS to +27 73 573 8075 (SMS rates apply) or emailing email@example.com or use the internet at www.tip-offs.com