Nurse Assistant at International Organization for Migration July, 2023
I. POSITION INFORMATION
Position Title Nurse Assistant
Position grade G-3
Duty Station Kasulu/Makere, United Republic of Tanzania
Durations One Year Fixed-Term Contract, with possibility of extension
Position Number To be created
Job family Operations
Organizational unit Movement Operations
Reporting directly to Senior Migration Health Nurse
Overall Supervised by Chief Migration Health Nurse
II. ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT AND SCOPE
Under the overall supervision of the Chief Migration Health Nurseand direct supervision of the Senior Migration Health Nurse, the successful candidate will be responsible for the carrying-out the following duties and responsibilities in relation to the Migration Health Assessment Centre (MHAC) in Kasulu/Makere, Tanzania
III. RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
1. Provide general assistance with the daily nursing activities in the Migration Health Assessment Clinic (MHAC) to fulfil the technical requirements of the resettlement countries in the areas of:
a) Medical examinations;
i. Such as checking vital signs, weight, height, visual acuity; and,
ii. Blood, urine or sputum collection as required.
b) Support in TB management; Directly Observed Treatment Short Course (DOTS);
c) Support Infection prevention and control mechanisms;
d) Support pre-departure procedures and medical movements;
e) Support documentation, certification and information transmission;
f) Transport of samples to the laboratory in a proper and safe manner;
g) Liaise with the laboratory, receive results and reports in a timely manner; and,
h) Other technical areas as may be required.
2. Provide support and general information to the migrants and/or refugees in relation to:
a) The migration health assessment, specially focusing on Chest Xray,
Immunization and sputum testing for those requiring it; and,
b) Treatments and referrals.
3. Support Nurses with proper identification and follow up by:
a) Comprehensive history taking;
b) Accurate and thorough Bio-data collection;
c) Ensuring ID verification for each step of the health assessment process;
d) Keeping a register of applicants who undergo health investigations and testing.
4. Follow the Health Assessment Programmes’ check lists and Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) and maintain standard universal precautions within MHAC.
5. Assist Nurses in medical emergency management as well as with chronic case management and related procedures. Arrange for specialist consultations and ensure receipt of specialist reports as assigned.
6. Support proper and accurate record keeping of applicants throughout the migration health assessment process, including uploading medical reports on the required databases.
7. Perform national medical escort duties when required to ensure migrants receive continued care throughout all phases of migration (before departure, during the journey and at the final destination).
8. Assist the team with checking medical invoices.
9. Prepare list of medical drugs and supplies for ordering as requested by the Migration Health Physician or Migration Health Nurse, assist in inventory taking, confirm and receive ordered drugs and supplies; all in close coordination with the administrative and finance teams.
10. Perform other duties as may be assigned.
IV. REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• High School diploma and three years of relevant work experience; or,
• Intermediate degree in Nursing, with at least three years of relevant work experience; or,
• Desirable: bachelor’s degree in nursing from accredited institution with oneyear relevant work experience required.
• Valid medical practicing license.
• Training or working experience in the areas of Tuberculosis management, mass immunizations, communicable diseases, laboratory testing or public health is an advantage; and,
• Computer literacy required: MS Office suite (Word, Excel, Access)
(specify the required knowledge) Advantageous
• Fluency in English and Kiswahili is required. • Working knowledge of French and Spanish is desirable
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
This position is open to Tanzanian nationals only. Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
All application documents will be handled in accordance with IOM data protection policy.
The selected candidate is required to commence the assignment as soon as the recruitment process completes.
Qualified persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply for UN vacancies and are protected from discrimination during all stages of employment.
Females with qualifications are encouraged to apply.
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training, or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates should fill in the PH form, submit CV’s and cover letter indicating Vacancy Notice number with 3 professional references and contacts to email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for submitting the application is 28th July, 2023.